Now in its 6th edition

It's a date...

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thursday, September 26, 2013

 

ENGLISH - 1st trimester – Day 18

Effort trumps talent.

Effort grows connections in your brain which make you smarter.  (Carol Dweck)

 

·         Number a paper 1 – 11. Without peeking, from memory only, write down the 11 prefixes on tomorrow’s test.

·         Next, create a T-chart with 3 columns and try to add both the meaning and an example of each of your 11 prefixes…

clip_image001[4]

o   This is basically what your test will look like Friday. The prefixes will not be in alphabetical order! You will be asked to fill in blanks.

·         Follow up on fulcrum sentences (exit slips – while, before, after)

o   Explain what 2 of the following sentences are suggesting…

1st hour

  1. I was tired before I woke up.
  2. I was in my bed before I went to put on my pjs.
  3. I was in the air before the plane was started.
  4. I’d read the book before it was released.
  5. I was home before I was off the bus.
  6. I was out the door before the bell rang.
  7. I was listening to music before I got my iPod out.
  8. I was at the game before I was in the car.

 

3rd hour

  1. She knew what would happen before she turned the page.
  2. I was asleep in my bed before I unlocked the front door.
  3. The money was out before the shoes were on.
  4. He was on vacation before he even left.
  5. I knew its name was going to be Fluffy before I even held it.

 

4th hour

  1. I was at her party before it even started.
  2. I ate all the cake before they even cut it.
  3. She was there before it even opened.
  4. The mom had screamed before the baby even fell.

 

5th hour

  1. He got the job before he applied.
  2. He knew they would be good friends before they even talked.
  3. She knew he was her father before they met.
  4. The audience was clapping before the dance was even over.
  5. People were standing in line before the gates even opened.

 

·         Think about your list of 25 events in your life as I read the following story:

o   “The Farmer’s Luck” by Jon J. Muth -  from Zen Shorts

Once upon the time there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years.
One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.
“Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses.
“How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed.
“Maybe,” replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg.
The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.
“Maybe,” answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army.
Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.
“Maybe,” said the farmer.

o   As a follow up to our plotline assignment, answer questions 1-10…

Perspectives of luck:

1.      Why was the farmer lucky that his horse had run away?

2.      Why was the son lucky to have broken his leg?

3.      When is a time that you have felt lucky?

4.      What is an example of a time you felt unlucky? How was this different from feeling lucky?

5.      What do you do when you feel unlucky?

6.      Give an example of a time when you felt unlucky but as time passed realized that you were actually lucky.

7.      Do you know anyone that has bad luck but is still happy?

8.      Do you know anyone that had bad luck but is still successful?

9.      Do you think having good luck is necessary to being successful?

10.  If luck is not necessary to being successful than what is?

·          

·         Reviewed omniscient narration (pg. 233)

·         Previewed “The Interlopers” (read bits of beginning, middle, end; looked at illustrations; made predictions) – 2 minutes

·         Read “The Interlopers” by Saki – pgs. 232 – 240.

·         Begin homework

 

ENGLISH homework:

 

·         Study your flashcards (11 prefixes from “30-15-10” list) and your PINK master list for Friday’s PREFIX test.

·         Finish reading “The Interlopers” by Saki – pgs. 232 – 240.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You say goodbye, and I say hello