Now in its 6th edition

It's a date...

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Monday, January 25, 2016

ENGLISH – Day 33

Number a paper 1 – 22. With each other and using your books, read the following 22 quotes; for each one, write down…

a) WHO said it

b) WHO they were speaking to.

1.            Draw if you be men, Gregory, remember thy swashing blow.

2.            I do but keep the peace.

3.            From those bloody hands, throw your mistempered weapons to the ground.

4.            My noble uncle, do you know the cause?

5.            In sadness cousin, I do love a woman.

6.            Go, sirrah, trudge about through fair Verona; find those persons out whose names are written there

7.            And if you be not of the house of Montagues, I pray come and crush a cup of wine.

8.            Compare her face to some that I shall show, and I will make thee think thy swan a crow.

9.            Nurse, give leave awhile.

10.          And then my husband (God be with his soul!)

11.          Her wagoner, a gray-coated gnat

12.          She that makes dainty, she I’ll swear hath corns.

13.          For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night

14.          To strike him dead I hold it not a sin.

15.          You are a saucy boy.

16.          Go ask his name

17.          Is she a Capulet?

18.          Younger than she are happy mothers made.

19.          Be ruled by me; forget to think of her.

20.          Give me a torch. I am not for this ambling tonight. Being but heavy, I will bear the light.

21.          O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright.

22.          Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs; being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers’ eyes.

NEXT: Write an example of a compound sentence.

What makes it “compound”?

Comma notes:

1. Discussed the evil comma splice and how to eliminate it from sentences

a. (INCORRECT): The woman in the blue dress is my neighbor, she is rather tall.

b. (CORRECT): The woman in the blue dress is my neighbor, FANBOYS she is rather tall.

2. Took notes on FANBOYS…

For: cause/effect

And: addition

Nor: choice

But: contrast

Or: choice

Yet: contrast

So: result

ADD TO NOTES:

AAAWWUBBIS – After, Although, As, While, When, Until, Before, Because, If, Since) at the beginning of one of the independent clauses and joining the two independent clauses.

English homework:

Study for Thursday's Act 1 quotations test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You say goodbye, and I say hello